Bookham Station – Accessible Bridge Access for All

Funding Presentation

Andrew Matthews

The BRA have been working on two plans to improve the accessibility to London bound trains from platform one at Bookham Station. The first is an accessible footpath from the Bookham Common tunnel car park (read more) and for the future to improve the station itself with the possibility of a new accessible bridge with lifts.

The initial idea would be to retain and preserve the existing listed footbridge, and have a new bridge positioned to the west of the station buildings.

We are working towards compiling an application for Network Rail’s “Access for All” funding scheme, which would provide 90% of the finances required for a new accessible bridge. The remaining 10% would have to be financed locally from Council grants, community/corporate donations, and charitable organisations like the National Lottery Fund.

It is estimated that a £500,000 local contribution would be required to be successful in an application.

The Bookhams Residents’ Association are setting up a fund raising initiative, and exploring further sponsorship that might be made available to the project.


This product has been added to your cart